Apr 26, 2014; Atlanta, GA, USA; Cincinnati Reds right fielder Jay Bruce (32) prepares for an at bat against the Atlanta Braves in the first inning at Turner Field. Mandatory Credit: Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports

Jay Bruce Making Progress


 

WASHINGTON- Cincinnati Reds right fielder Jay Bruce, on the disabled list since May 6 with left knee problems, had a positive workout session before Tuesday’s game in D.C. Bruce is eligible to be activated on Wednesday, and he was very pleased with how his knee felt, oh, happy joy, we need his bat back in the worst way.

“It felt good, it felt normal,” Bruce said. “There’s still some swelling there, and the range of motion isn’t perfect, but I knew that. Structurally, it’s great.”

In regards of his return and if he could even come back tomorrow, Bruce hesitated for bit and smiled, when the media asked him.

“I don’t want to put dates on it,” he said. “Getting close, really close. We’ll see [how I] bounce back from this. Today was the most involved day that I’ve had so far. I ran the bases full speed, hit off Mat Latos, and if I bounce back from this, we’re heading in the right direction pretty fast.”

Manager Bryan Price also liked Bruce’s workout session. In addition to hitting off Latos, he said Bruce ran the bases, did cutting and zig-zagging in the outfield and even slid into third base, some of the requirements needed in order to be activated.

When asked about a possible rehab assignment, Price said the Reds were undecided. But Bruce made it clear that he felt none was needed.

“I took my rehab today,” he said with a smile. “Off Latos.”

Dick's Sporting Goods presents "Hell Week":

Tags: Bryan Price Cincinnati Reds Jay Bruce Mat Latos