A woman accusing Cincinnati Reds pitcher Alfredo Simon of raping her in April 2013 filed a lawsuit Thursday in a Washington D.C. Superior Court.
Alfredo Simon (32) is in his third season with the Cincinnati Reds. 2014 has been the first season that Simon has been a starter for the Reds, previously he was utilized in the bullpen in 2012 and 2013. Simon made his MLB debut in 2008 with the Baltimore Orioles where he played for 4 seasons.
Simon is in the midst of an incredible start to the season in 2014. His 1.30 ERA is the second best in baseball at the moment. Simon is a starter in 2014 due to an injury to Mat Latos. Simon started for the Reds on Wednesday collecting another win on the season.
The accuser who filed the civil lawsuit as ‘Jane Doe’ accuses Simon of rape on the night of April 27th, 2013 in Washington D.C. According to the complainant she met Simon at The Huxley night club after a man posing to be Simon’s agent offered the woman and her friends tickets to the Reds v. Nationals game the next day. Following his offer he then introduced the women to Simon and Johnny Cueto.
From there Simon and the woman left the club and went back to the Reds hotel. From there the woman claims to have been intoxicated when her and Simon began kissing. From there the acts turned more sexual in nature, she says “Simon went from being romantic to being aggressive.”
According to the woman Simon tried to penetrate her vaginally, when she stopped him he entered her anally. The woman then remembers screaming out in pain.
She then left the hotel and returned to the club where she found her roommate and told her of the ‘attack’. The woman did not go to the hospital that night, she went the next morning where a rape kit was administered. The rape kit did find anal tearing that is conducive with anal intrusion.
The woman reported the rape to D.C. Metro police on May 2nd, 2013. On May 9th the woman testified before a grand jury, on May 15th the District Attorney informed the woman that they would not be pursing charges. Thus why the woman has filed a civil case against Simon.
The woman is suing for $5 million in compensatory compensation and $10 million in punitive damages.
Simon has had his run in with the law before in the Dominican Republic where he was tried for involuntary manslaughter in 2011, he spent three months in jail for that.
The Reds will not comment on the case nor will Simon’s management. It appears Simon’s standing with the team has not changed.