It’s here it’s here! The start of a new baseball season is finally here, every disappointment from last year means nothing now, its time to win it all. Cincinnati Reds pitchers and catchers reported to Goodyear, Arizona Friday for the first day of spring training.
Pitchers came into the day looking to build off what they had last year. The starting rotation this year consists of Mat Latos, Johnny Cueto, Homer Bailey, Tony Cingrani and Mike Leake. A solid rotation that has lost veteran Bronson Arroyo for the upcoming season to free agency. The bullpen comes back healthy, Sean Marshall is finally healthy, Jonathan Broxton returns healthier as well. Aroldis Chapamn and his offseason boredom are back hopefully he finds baseball more exciting than his offseason.
Catching for the Reds this season will not be veteran Ryan Hanigan who the club traded to Tampa Bay. Instead the future of the franchise Devin Mesoraco will step into the role as the everyday catcher. Mesoraco has a bat which Hanigan lacked but not the total baseball knowledge Hanigan had. Brayan Pena will back up Mesoraco this season.
Some notes coming out of the first day of spring training from Reds.com:
- Johnny Cueto will shorten his delivery motion at the request of Manager Bryan Price, many believe this has been causing his back issues the past few seasons.
- Sean Marshall had a successful offseason of rehab and appears ready to go. Same from Broxton but his status for opening day is still up in the air.
- The Reds and Homer Bailey are still in contract talks to avoid arbitration that is scheduled for next week, stay tuned.
- Tony Cingrani believes that the back issues that sidelined him last season are behind him, he feels “good to go.”
- And the most upsetting thing to come out of the first day is the new Reds facial hair policy. Mustaches and beards are allowed but must be groomed, aka no Duck Dynasty.
The first day was uneventful really, Mat Latos had knee surgery but it was only arthroscopic he should be good to resume throwing in 10 days. The facial hair policy is a little upsetting, why would you want a team building activity like the Red Sox last season.
Position players report February 19th. Stay tuned.