Before the game today, we were expecting snow and ice to make an immediate impact in the play of the game, well it hold off and I didn’t expect the Bengals to put up 40 points again at home in freezing Paul Brown Stadium. They did thanks to the great quarterback play of Andy Dalton throwing three touchdowns and running one in as the Bengals defeat the Indianapolis Colts 42-28 and with doing that leap-frog them into the No. 3 seed in the AFC.
The team scored 40 points or more for the third straight home game first time in team history. Colts quarterback Andrew Luck threw for four touchdowns in the 2nd half as the defense struggled in the half and allowed the 2nd quarterback to throw 300 or more yards on them this season.
Dalton and Bengals got the scoring party started as he found wide receiver Marvin Jones for a 29 yard touchdown pass as Jones dove for it, and matain possession all the way in to the ground.
The turning point play in the game occurred late in the first half, as the team drove down the field, and running back BenJarvus Green-Eills on fourth and goal from the one, on second effort punch it in for a touchdown to give Cincinnati a 14-0 lead at halftime.
It was clear that Green-Eills’s knee was down before he stretch the ball in to the goaline. It was first ruled that he was down, they reviewed it and overturned it and gave him the socre.
The defense held down Luck and company in the first half, not allowing them to convert a third down conversion in the half, overall the Colts were 2-10 for for the game.
The Bengals march right down the field to start the 2nd half and scored on a Green-Eills second touchdown run of the game to make it 21-0.
We won’t even go into details of the Colts 28 point second half, but their second touchdown of the game was in a result of six miss tackles by Bengals defenders it was horrible sight as the Colts got within 21-14 in the third quarter.
Dalton finished his great day with a touchdown pass to AJ Green late in the third for nine yards to make it 28-14, he then found Jermaine Gresham for one yard and ran it in for himself on a bootleg play to cap off his “Good Andy” day. Stat line for Dalton: 24-35, 275yds, 3TDS, ZERO INTS, and a passer rating of 120.5.
The running game continued its success they left off in San Diego, rushing for 150 yards plus as a team. Givonai Bernard had 14 carried for 99 yards, almost secured the team’s first 100-yard rusher of the season.
* The win grabbed the tiebreak over the Colts for the No. 3 seed, who in the loss clinched the AFC south for them as the Tiants lost to the Broncos.
* It looked like the Bengals were going to be at the No. 2 seed slot in the AFC at the end of the night, but a miracle win by the Patriots over the Browns prevented from happening.
* The Ravens won on a last second touchdown to keep their AFC North title hopes alive, they trail Cincinnati by two games with three to play.
* Cornerback Terrance Newman left the game with a knee injury, after the game he was seen on crutches and it looks like he will be out for a while. Safety George IIoka left the game with a head injury.
* Next up: at Steelers 12/15 Sunday night game on NBC 8:30pm. A win and Ravens loss will clinch the AFC north title.